Our Heritage

Image

Taylors farm in Lathom has been in the Webster family for over 100 years and is currently run by the third generation of the family - Roger and Bernie, along with their four children Andrew, Louise, Joe and Tom.

William and Prudence Webster moved into the farm in the early 1900's, traditionally farming the land with cereals, potatoes and vegetables. In 1947 they went on to win the Hudson Cup - an award for the best kept & most productive farm from the Royal Lancashire Agricultural Society.

Together they raised 6 children on the farm all of whom remained in agriculture in the local community, and their youngest son Joe took over the family farm around 1950 with his wife Helen, continuing the same farming practices.They grew caulies, leeks, potatoes & cereals, selling most of their produce to local merchants or through their small farmshop.

They raised 4 children at Taylors farm, and Roger their only son soon took over in 1987. Roger & Bernie extended the farming practice from all arable to include cattle around 1990 with the intention of building a suckler herd and fattening bulls for market. However with BSE and Foot & Mouth almost devastating the livestock industry they started to slaughter a few beasts for family and friends, and the farm shop started again. Thankfully the local community have supported the venture, appreciating the home reared beef and lambs and also the locally sourced pigs, poultry, vegetables and salad produce to such an extent that in 2009 the new farm shop was opened incorporating old farm buildings into a purpose built farmshop. The couples 4 children are all involved within the business, providing a real family atmosphere to all customers.